Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ready to Get Out of Here!

Anticipation, excitement, mountains of fun. Germany will be incredible. Since I have never traveled abroad, I don't know what to expect. Of course I have reviewed all the travel tips provided by AIB and Texas A&M, but that is only the surface. Those travel tips help give you ability to travel and be prepared for the unexpected, but until I actually get Germany, I really don't know what to expect. I have talked to people who have traveled to Germany
One thing I am wondering about is how much American culture Germans know about. Do they follow celebrities like TMZ, or do they think that stuff is pretty stupid. As of right now, I do believe they show American movies in Germany. It could be interesting to see the new Transformers movies over there. However, if the Germans do follow the American celebrities, I can tell my host family that I have seen some of their houses in Beverly Hills. I would also find it interesting why Germans or other Europeans like American celebrities so much. And I know it is not the same way for the United States. I do not know any Germans except for Dirk Nowitzki. I know that Germans know about him because he was the number one searched person recently on yahoo.de. This is actually pretty cool since I saw a Mavericks game this year, however it was the first game Dirk was injured. The Mavs lost to the Raptors. Yep, the Raptors. But I do believe that the Germans follow American culture.
I am also looking forward to talking to Germans as well. I want to know how much personality differences there are. I know that Americans are known for being friendly, but do Germans offer something different that Americans would like. My prediction for what Germans(based on what I have been told and seen on TV) that they are frank and more serious than Americans. Even though this isn't a reputable source, South Park had an episode about how the Germans are the least funniest people in the world. Yes, South Park is a raunchy TV show with little cartoon characters, but it probably has some truth. Maybe the Germans will prove me wrong.
I am also curious how many people will have the name Schaefer. Since my name is German, I wonder if it is like Smith or Williams in the United States. Maybe it is spelled differently or is there an amula over the a.
To wrap this blog up, I am excited about going to Germany because of the new surprises and adventures I will be having.

No comments: