Thursday, June 30, 2011

Here Already?

Throughout the entire semester I was constantly looking forward to and trying to mentally prepare for this trip. Even with all that, I'm still feeling a bit anxious now that it's finally here. All my bags are packed and waiting by the door, but I still feel so unprepared like I was never really aware of what was going to happen and that fact is just now hitting me. I guess you could say that I'm becoming aware that I'm unaware.

I feel a tinge of regret for not getting to know the woman I will be staying with better. We've exchanged a few e-mails and we're "friends" on facebook, but I would be lying to say I couldn't have easily done more. I know it won't be awkward staying with her or anything, but I'm still a bit nervous about it and think I might not be if I knew more about her. Anyway, this is only a minor complaint because she seems like an extremely nice woman from the little contact we've had, and I'm extremely grateful for her.

Once I get to Germany, I'm planning on mostly staying with the group as much as I can. I have planned trips to most of the major cities, but I know that things can change. For me, this trip is just as much about making relationships with people as it is about making a relationship with the countries, so I'm willing to change plans if others decide to. That being said, I'm really excited to get the chance to see all these places that I feel like I've been missing for so long. Paris is probably the trip I'm looking forward to most because it's such a legendary city, but I'm sure I'll find that each city has parts just as fascinating as the others.

Of course, this is a STUDY abroad program so I'm sure I'll learn a great deal. I'm excited to learn about European culture in general as well as the history of the area. The classes will definitely be helpful, but I suspect most of my learning will come by simply immersing myself in the culture. Having only really spent time in the United States and some resorts in Mexico, it will be interesting to see how different other cultures can be. From what I've heard, there are some pretty big changes, both positive and negative. Regardless of whether I end up loving it (which is likely) or hating it (which seems impossible), I'm sure I'll have learned quite a bit after the next five weeks are up.

I will definitely miss my friends and family as well as my girlfriend over the rest of the summer, but they will all be waiting patiently at home for me when I get back. Though it seems like I'll be gone such a long time, these goodbyes won't be forever. I've made a number of new hobbies this summer including biking, tennis, and just fitness in general. The fact that I'm going to have to let some of that go for the next five weeks is a little hard, but it's certainly not the end of the world. Who knows, maybe I'll even pick up some new hobbies while I'm gone. Regardless of the people and things I leave behind, I'm very excited for this opportunity. My plane's landing really can't come soon enough.

No comments: