Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hallo!

In the midst of a whirlwind of packing and preparing, I remembered that I hadn't actually posted this blog yet, despite the fact that I thought about posting every day for the past two weeks. Hooray for procrastination. It's amazing how fast time passes in the summer. I must admit, if I had written this a few days ago, all I would have been able to write about was anxiousness. My glasses broke and the new pair I ordered had to be sent back, I had last minute banking trouble, I still can't speak even a little German and my host mother can't speak English any better, and I just managed to ram my face into my desk chair so I'll probably have a black eye tomorrow. Look out Germany here I come!
So I guess the procrastination paid off. My old glasses were repaired enough to take with me, I will not be broke traveling through Germany, I have an excellent German/English dictionary, and I'm hoping my impending black eye will make any con artists think twice because I am clearly a dangerous woman. Getting the packing (mostly) done and the weekend plans established (thank you Drew, Bailey, and Kristen) did wonders for my travel jitters and now all I'm left with is a whole lot of excitement.
I'm not too sure what to expect, but I don't want to have to many expectations anyways. Better to leave room for all the awesome experiences that will happen then to try and live out my expectations. I know this trip is going to be amazing for a fact. It's been my 11:11 wish all summer, so that's basically a sure thing :) I'm really excited to meet my host mother and get either really good at German, or really good at charades.
The time over there is definitely going to fly, so hopefully I won't have time to be homesick. I'll miss my family a whole lot. They'll be going on vacations too so I'm not too worried about them missing me which is good for my peace of mind. I'm also not sure if I'm gonna like German food all that much, but I'm not worried about it. It's part of the experience.
I can't wait to get on the plane tomorrow and get started! It's going to be a fantastic summer. I've just got to get the last of that pesky packing done. Once again, thank you procrastination.

No comments: