Tuesday, June 21, 2011

And So It Begins.....

This is meant to be my pre-departure blog but I've actually already left. I've been in Europe for almost two weeks with my dad. I was hoping this would be a good way for me to start getting used to the flow of Europe and make me feel comfortable when I'm on my own. It's also great being adjusted to the time already (that was a rough first week). I still feel pretty much the same now as I did before about the program but at least the anxiety of Europe in general is taken care of.


I still expect to be uncomfortable and feel out of place sometimes but I also expect to adapt and learn to appreciate the chance to experience something different. I generally tnd to dislike too much change. I like what i know, but with this study abroad program that all goes out the window. Everything is going to be new and it's sure to be different, but it'll probably be the time of my life.

In regards to the program, I'm curious to see the development of medicine and the present day practices in Europe to see the similarities and differences. However, I feel like this program isn't as much about the credit as it is about the experience so I'm looking forward to a different type of learning environement.


Preparing for the trip was more stressful than exciting though. When I was packing I kept worrying that I would forget something or pack too much or not enough. It's just such a long time and I didn't know what to expect so I couldn't know what to pack. Also, the idea of trying to figure out trains and hostels was overwhelming but thankfully I have a great group of travel buddies to help me. I don't know what I would have done without Josh, Carrie, Elena, Sam, and Aubrey.


I'm excited to experience a new culture and to try out another perspective of the world, even if I'm admittedly a little nervous. I can't wait to get started!

No comments: