Friday, June 24, 2011

Six Days

I cannot believe there is only one week left. Actually, less than a week. More like six days. You can tell by looking at my desk that preparation is underway. Yellow and purple sticky notes are stuck to my bookshelf, fluttering messages like "Pick up meds" and "To Buy: ..." You know it's happening when you come home with two bags worth of samples from the dermatologist, just so there is enough for you to use while abroad. Seven days is a blessing and a curse; you only have a few days left to get everything done (kind of freaking out!), but knowing that it all will be done in six days is comforting.

I have been looking forward to this trip all semester! For the longest time, I didn't know if I would be able to go. When my dad sent me the it's-a-go! email, I almost jumped out of my chair. Good thing I didn't, as stares of disdain from fellow Evans Library computer users would have shot my way. This trip is the best combination of everything that interests me. As a Biology, pre-optometry major, I am and have always been interested in the sciences. Being able to tour medical schools and medical museums, see surgeries, understand controversial issues like euthanasia, and learn about the birth and rise of medicine will be invaluable experiences. Knowing where we have been is important for being an integral part of the future.
Not only will the history of medicine fascinate me, but I cannot wait to be in Germany, mein Heimatland (homeland)! My father is German (born and raised- love calling him a "Hamburger"), so my upbringing has been surrounded by German traditions- Weinachtsmann, Bratkartoffeln (delicious fried potatoes), Oktoberfest. I have been to Germany before, so some of the German cultural subtleties won't be new. Nonetheless, this trip will something completely different. This program will allow me to see and tour things I normally wouldn't. I will be doing excursions to cities in Europe I have never been before. The people will be new; the places will be new. I hope to make life-long friendships with the locals and fellow Aggies. (Improving my German will also be a super plus!)
The excitement keeps building the closer we get, but so do the nerves. I am most anxious about being gone for so long- seven weeks! It's one thing to be in College Station for seven weeks, but being in Europe is something completely different. These last few days, I really understand what Joy meant about the roller coaster of emotions you go through. One minute, I'm thinking, "I can't wait! I can't wait!" The next, I say, "Forget the nerves; I just want to stay home"- where I can sip a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice watching The Next Food Network Star.
I have to say, one thing I will really miss is my Florida OJ. But luckily, everything else Germany has to offer will make up for it. I can't wait for Currywurst and Spezi and weisse Spargel and endloes Kartoffeln and....O yes, there is one thing I must mention before I close this chapter. Has anyone ever tried tuna fish pizza? This is something my grandmother and father love. I must say, it sounds kind of "out there," but I will be trying it! Join me?
As I sign off, I must say I'm really excited to click "Publish Post." Not only is this my first blog post ever, but doing so will allow me to cross off "Blog" from my purple sticky note. :)


No comments: