Sunday, June 19, 2011

Adventure Awaits

This just doesn’t seem real yet. It’s hard to imagine that in less than two weeks I’ll be hanging out in Bonn, Germany or off on a weekend excursion to one of the hot spots in Europe. All the planning and preparation is ultimately accumulating into nervous/excited anticipation of actually arriving in Germany.

I never planned on studying abroad. There just didn’t seem to be too many opportunities for biomedical engineers and the cost seemed outrageous. However, once I learned about the History of Medicine program in Germany, I instantly knew it was the perfect fit for me. I’ve never left the country so everything about this trip will be a new experience for me. From traveling by train to walking cobble-stoned paths I will take it all in with awestruck excitement.

This program’s focus on the past and present medical advancements is a perfect part of my education as a biomedical engineer. Global relations seem to be increasingly important in the workforce. Studying abroad will allow me to learn how to interact with people who live in different cultures. “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” This quote puts my traveling into a different perspective. Everything I see will be foreign to me, but in reality I’m the one who’s foreign to the place I’m visiting. Learning how to adapt to new places and work with different people are skills I need to survive. One aspect of the program focuses on new and upcoming medical technology, but I think it’s important to know how we got to where we are today. From the guest lecturers to the field trips, I’m excited to learn all about Germany’s place in the medical history of today.

My host family sounds like a wonderful family. Their introduction email just filled me with so much appreciation for them to welcome me into their home. They have three children around my age so I’m looking forward to hanging out with them and their dog!

I have to admit, the weekend travel is what really grabbed my attention about this program. As if traveling around Germany isn’t enough, I have the opportunity to travel to surrounding countries with my friends and have mini-adventures in cities such as Amsterdam, Paris, and Prague. It’s been overwhelming looking at all the things to do in these cities (and a bit of a hassle to find hostels) but this trip is allowing me to experience different cultures outside of Germany and to see the places I have only dreamed of visiting all in one trip.

I feel that the closer it gets to my departure date, the more nervous I’ll become. I’m honestly not looking forward to the long plane ride, but it’s worth it. I’m always worrying about things so my goal is to let go during this trip and just enjoy every second. I can’t say I have specific expectations other than my desire to experience as much as I can. I hope the trip doesn’t fly by too fast, but I’ll be sure to capture as many memories as I can and hold onto them. Everyone always says studying abroad changes you. Well, I’m welcoming a change. A change in the way I view the world all the way down to how I view myself.

No comments: