Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Is this all really happening?

With only two more nights left to sleep in my own bed, I cant help but question myself as to the reality of this trip. For me this trip is something that I have always wondered what it would be like, but never thought I would have the opportunity to do. I have only been out of the United States once and that was to Mexico when I was 7 years old, so I don't really like to count that and I have never crossed an ocean. This fact adds to my anticipations/nervousness. Throughout this whole month of June I have been taking summer classes and volunteering in College Station, and though I knew I would soon be going on this trip I didn't think about it too much because the belief that it was actually going to happen hadn't set in yet (and to be honest I don't think it will until I am in Bonn). Even now, as I lay in bed typing this blog I cannot even picture myself on a plane crossing the Atlantic in less than 48 hours. That thought seems crazy to me.

Having the opportunity to come out of my comfort zone and experience a different culture is what I look forward to the most. I know there are so many things that I am not ready for and not being an experienced traveller I know I will hit not one, but many bumps in the road as I make my way around Europe. One nice relaxing factor is that my host family seems very friendly and welcoming. We have emailed back and forth a few times and they even emailed me the other day on my birthday to wish me a happy birthday and I thought that was really nice of them, because I know they didn't have to do that.

Overall, I am looking forward to the wonderful experience I have before me and will not take it for granted. I cannot wait to see the beautiful and historically important places that this trip will take us to. Oh, and the weekends are going to be amazing as well. So far I have booked hostels in Amsterdam and Prague, but will also be planning on going to Northern Italy and Paris. I know that this trip will provide me with the opportunity to meet wonderful people and make great friends and an experience that I won't soon forget.

No comments: