Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Can Somebody Pinch Me Please?

Tonight, as I sit here on the couch in my living room with my dogs fast asleep and my sister intently reading the seventh Harry Potter book to the dull roar of the Food Network on the television, I find myself finally realizing that this is one of the last nights that I will be spending in my bed (much less the entire North American continent) this half of the summer. It seems that right about now someone should pinch my arm and remind me that I am daydreaming about this long-awaited trip to Germany, but this time the prospect is knocking on my door.

Now, aside from the packing that has yet to be fully completed, I find myself thinking about both how I got to this moment and where I am planning on going from here. For starters, looking back I think I was literally the last person to sign up for this trip, and the fact that I only was able to go to the last pre-program meeting has not helped my anxieties about the process one bit. It is funny to think that one day Dr. Wasser mentioned to our class that there was an opening in the program, and then in the next few days I was signing and initialing the paperwork on the necessary dotted lines. I think that reality began its gradual descent when I purchased my plane ticket because I remember my dad telling me that there was no turning back now, but still to this day I can find myself wrapped in a daydream of walking in the streets of Bonn or hanging out at the Eiffel Tower.

It is hard for me to think that this trip is actually about to happen.

Looking ahead to what the trip will hold gives me a whole new meaning to the word ‘uncertainty’. Immersion into a new culture in this manner is definitely out of my comfort zone, but I am anxious for what is in store. I went to Europe once for a family vacation in Spain, but solo international travel is something that I am somewhat nervous to endeavor. One element of European travel that I have most assuredly not experienced is the rail system. With my Eurail pass in hand I will attempt to master the train system, but the timetables that are provided are overwhelming to say the least. Also, aside from the fact that we have made some correspondence, I am eager/nervous to meet my host mom and her 24 year old daughter. Aside from all of the uncertainty and anxiety about what is before me, I can find relief in the fact that the sights, sounds, friends, and experiences will greatly outweigh any worries I may have about this trip.

So as I sit here, contemplating packing my bags yet again, I can’t help but flood my mind with the images of beautiful countryside, historic architecture, priceless artwork, and unforgettable memories that wait on the far side of the Atlantic. Of all the things I want to be able to take from this trip, most of all I hope that I don’t take this experience for granted. I hope that each day will bring new adventures and new surprises, and that I will be able to appreciate them for all that they are. I cannot believe this incredible adventure is about to start!

No comments: