Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Anticipating Germany...

So, I will be leaving for Germany in 15 days and I still can’t believe I’m actually going! This will be my first trip to Europe, and the only other times I have ever been out of the country were on family trips to Mexico when I was younger. Nothing compared to the trip I am about to take.

There are so many feelings that have been building up in the time leading to this trip: apprehension, excitement, anticipation just to name a few. Just like doing anything else for the first time, there are a lot of nervous feelings that come along. My biggest anxiety at the moment is flying by myself all the way to Europe. I have been in airports quiet a bit and even flown by myself before, but not this far! Another anxiety, but something that I am also quiet excited about, is meeting my host family. I have never stayed with a family I have never met before, and I am afraid there will be a language barrier because I do not know any German. But, from their emails, my host family seems very nice and I’m ready to learn everything about German culture I can from them. I think it will be interesting to see how much the same and also how different they are from my own family. As for weekend trips, we (the students) have come up with some what of a plan. This has relieved a little stress for me; I like having a plan.

I’m extremely excited about the trip and can’t wait to see what all Germany and Europe have to offer. This is a once in a lifetime trip and I can not wait for it to start!

No comments: