Monday, September 04, 2006

A Month at Home

So it has been an interesting month since returning from our study abroad. I got back and had to launch straight into family reunion mode - being nice, no jet lag, etc. I got to see my brand new cousin, Josh - so cute! I had all of a week at home in Corpus before having to come up to College Station for training. That week was a blur.

It's interesting being back and thinking of everything that we adapted to while in Germany. I still can't believe I typed a six page paper on a German keyboard and operating system (my host family's was not in English like the AIB's computers were). When I got back, I found myself still trying to type with the Z on top and the Y on bottom, so my friends probably got some interesting emails that week.

As much as everyone wanted to know how my study abroad went, it was hard to explain everything to them. Pictures can only tell so much, and after my bout of storytelling I would always think of something else cool that I missed sharing.

The food and snacks that I brought back were a big hit. We had a diet Coke/Cola light taste testing session, and the chocolate was devoured immediately. The apfelshorle was not as much of a hit with most of the family - they thought it was a bit tart, which it is compared with American apple juice. My dad finally decided that it was much better with a bit of sweet and lo added in.

Being back in College Station, and with a parking pass all the way across campus, I definitely miss the train/tram transportation. It was much more convenient to get around on the train, even if it was late, or I had other shenanigans as I did. At least I wouldn't have to deal with the traffic problems that construction on Texas has caused.

As I said in a brief post a few weeks ago, I am glad that I had no problems getting home other than a tight connection in Chicago. After the mess in London with the terrorist attacks a week after I left Heathrow, I am so thankful that everything went alright.

If only all classes here on Main Campus were as easy as we had it in Germany. Already I have tons of homework, and we've only been in classes for a week. And already I am getting tired of going to the same classrooms for classes instead of visiting the various museums and hospitals as we did on our study abroad.

Can't wait till our reunioun, which hopefully will happen. I have seen a few of you in classes or just on campus, but its not the same. Have a good one! ~ Robin

No comments: