Friday, September 08, 2006

Life has moved pretty fast since coming back from Germany. That is to say, life has resettled back into the old school/work/study routine, with little time to reflect on those 6 weeks. I find myself reliving moments and memories, seeing locations and glimpses of the most obscure and insignificant details of the trip. I have yet to find a way to fully explain what it was like, living in another country, experiencing such amazing things that many people will never have a chance to do. Looking at the pictures I took, it seems like they don't even begin to do justice to what occured, can't hold a candle to the movies in my head that play at random. It's so surreal to see pictures of places and to think, "I've been there", or to have a feeling of familiarity with places that formerly existed only on maps and tv. The excursions to all of the companies, hospitals, and other businesses definitely gave a wide perspective of the opportunities in the medical field, yet personally led me in no new directions. I suppose it has helped to clarify what I don't want to do, so it's progress one way or another. I'm thinking about taking a year off to work, get some experience, and discover what career would really make me happy, away from the mind-draining regimen of school, work, studying and reading. This trip has taught me that it pays to take a chance and actively seek out new experiences. Hopefully I'll return to Germany someday, speaking a little more of the language, or travel to somewhere new. Now, if I could only find an internship at a Bavarian brewery, I'd be set. I can't believe I almost missed out on this trip because I couldn't conceive of coming up with the money. To anyone who reads this, study abroad, on this trip or another. Now is the time, young and unbound by the responsibilities of the real world, most likely starting or freshly on the road to debt. There will never be a time of greater opportunity and freedom to expand your horizons, experience other cultures, and create unforgettable memories. This trip was well worth the money, the work, and the effort, and since I can't quite convey how amazing it was, I can only tell you to go and see for yourself, you won't regret it.

No comments: