Monday, May 23, 2022

Episode 1 !

  Waiting to check in to my flight here in the Houston Intercontinental airport I find myself at a loss for words. Dr. Wasser prompted us to write a post explaining why we wanted to participate in this program, what our worries and expectations are, an introduction to this "heroes' journey" as this trip has been coined. My aspirations to study abroad were first ignited several years ago as I watched my older siblings chase the opportunities that college presented them across borders. With the challenges that busy schedules and the world-wide pandemic ensued upon my college years, it wasn't until I saw this program on the abroad website last October that my once farfetched goal became something I could grasp. Even now it seems like an overwhelming process of preparation has been completed as I finally stand in line (literally) to begin this experience. Let it be known that I have never traveled out of this country, so even my passport ordering appointment was a new and unfamiliar experience. I've faced every bullet on my checklist so far with optimism, confidence, flexibility, and a mindset ready to learn. Looking ahead to what waits for me in these next few weeks, I plan to take on every next day and task with the same attitudes. 

I wished to join this program for many reasons, but I feel the largest in this moment is that I am confident that it will change my life in ways that I can't yet fathom. I'm certain I will meet more people than I could expect, learn concepts I hadn't imagined, and experience sights that I didn't know even existed. With all of this said, I could definitely pinpoint nervousness and anxiousness in the arsenal of emotions I currently hold. I have crafted a very comfortable corner of the world here in south Texas, so this program and all of the "new" that it will bring will require a whole new schema for processing in my brain. However, with reassurance, excitement, and lots of support, I am focusing on all of the positive ramifications this experience will bring me. The word excited sounds pathetically tame for how I am feeling right now, and I cannot wait to set this movie in motion. 

Here is my dad, my brother, and me in the drop off lane at the Airport! 

No comments: