Monday, May 23, 2022

Arriving in Germany!

Today is my first day in Germany and I already have so many stories to tell. This was the longest flight I was on but the plane was pretty nice, except the food was skeptical. I wasn’t able to finish any of the meals mainly because I was still on Texas time. After the first meal, a group of people rushed to the bathrooms and my stomach started to hurt. I had thought it was just me and maybe my bowel movements were acting crazy today, but I then found out that other students had the same problem. Once I got off the plane I was so relieved and excited to finally be in Germany… and use the restroom comfortably. 

I came on this program not only to gain more experience in medicine and travel, but to work on my mental health and mindset. In the past, I have always been hard on myself and viewed the whole in a way that was not the healthiest for my mental health. I’m hoping to come back from this trip changed. I’m excited to learn about the history of medicine in Germany, exploring Europe for the first time, and becoming an improved different person.  

Second day in Germany:

Today we took a tour of Bonn and it was absolutely beautiful. I learned that Germans are indeed “frank” but also very kind. I forgot a mask on the tram and one of the students gave me an extra. When I got on the plan, my mask broke and I was struggling to fix it. A nice lady saw me struggling and gave me a mask. I also realized how much it actually rains in Germany, but the weather is still way better than Texas. Me and a group of people went to go find someplace to eat in the center of Bonn and experienced how difficult it would be to find a place to eat. We had a hard time understanding some menus because they did not have an English one. We wanted to try a traditional German restaurant but ended up going to a Cantonese restaurant. For dinner, I order a pina colada without getting card and finally felt like an adult lol.

My health the first two days have been a little rough. I haven’t flown a plane in years, especially not 9 hours plus. I had a hard time building up an appetite on the plane due to the time difference and plane sickness and ended up eating in total 1 meal in the two days. I’ve had back to back migraines and nausea. Today I finally built up an appetite, ate, and felt way better. I am ready for the rest of the weeks!


No comments: