Monday, May 23, 2022

Duo lingo didn’t prepare me for this…

 So you think you have been learning German for months on some silly little app with an owl? GUESS WHAT! you are wrong you know nothing. Landing in the airport gives you a false sense of confidence but being sent to the supermarket is the real test! When I arrived to Bornheim I was hurried through the pouring rain into a stunning tan building by and elegant Germany lady with extremely eclectic taste! ( think old church converted to techno bar with a splash of Middle school English teacher). Our room is simple but perfect, I must admit I am still getting used to the lack of AC. Even now I can see life is slower here, I see people slowly meandering along the rivers, and fathers chasing children through the garden. On Monday’s stores are closed but on Sunday groceries are closed( very confusing hahah) So in a fit of hunger and sleep deprivation Halle and I settle a super market to grab some quick snacks. In about 5 seconds I realize I don’t know Anything when we set off an alarm and earn ourself glare from the shopkeepers, finally getting our stuff after being forced to go off looks alone and hope for the best. I think I have a long way to go before I am the experience local I thought I would be instantly! But what a joy it is to learn!!!! 

No comments: