Sunday, June 30, 2019

Oh air conditioning, where art thou

Week five, one more to go

Monday: Nothing really remarkable, went to class, learned then went home.

Tuesday: Got up at 3:30 am and flew to Vienna. Upon arrival was given tour by Dr Schnabal of the history of Vienna in relationship to medicine. Next we toured the catacombs beneath one of Vienna's lovely churches before finishing the day with a group dinner at a restaurant that serves Goulash. I had a pork goulash with wine and it smacked, best dinner I've had in a while.


Wednesday: We visited a museum about the history of druggists, which was very informative and the nice German man who guided the tour had all the answers to my questions. I certainly did not expect to learn that people used to believe ground up bits of mummy had a medical value! Afterwards we were given the afternoon off so we decided to head to a grand bazaar area for lunch where I ate some falafel and blackberries. We found a cool hat shop and talked to the lady who ran it who happened to be from LA. It was very cool and she gave me some very good advice on how to fix my Stetson once I get back home. I also bought a dope ass Austrian national team scarf since my family hails from Austria or is at least from that general area. That night we went to a local bar and spent several hours hanging out before retiring for the night.

Thursday: Very busy day as we visited a former mental hospital and went in a tour of the place led by a medical student. We got to see all kinds of amazing specimens including conjoined twins and people born without a brain. After this we had lunch at a Pakistani buffet place before heading off to the Sigmund Freud museum and receiving a lecture about Freud from Wasser. It was rather interesting, but I must admit my poor experience with Psyc 107 made glaze over a bit. Afterwards we  went back to the hotel to change to the concert. Here I should note that I left my dress pants, dress shoes, button down shirt and tie in Bonn because I’m stupid and it was too early for my brain to work. Fortunately, I was loaned a polo by Logan and all was well. The concert consisted of music by Mozart and Hayden and was performed at St. Anna’s in the heart of Vienna. After the concert we ate pizza then went to a bar before returning home at about 2am. Fun day

Friday: Started the day off with a tour of the House of Music where we mostly learned about Mozart which was sad as I had actually liked Hayden’s music better in the concert the day before. Tour was a bit short due to time constraints, but after eating some great Schnitzel we headed over to the best natural history museum I’ve ever been to. This place was dope af and I could’ve spent a whole day there just wandering around. Funniest part was learning that Elephant Seals are actually the size of you know... elephants. After the museum the Prague group jumped on the train and we rolled into Prague at about 1am and got to the hostel by 2.
 
Saturday: Got up, ate waffles and exploded Prague. Got to see Charles Bridge and the fort and the cathedral and walked along the river and go on the island in the middle of the river that runs through Prague and just wow. Prague is beautiful and clean and awesome and is simply everything I hoped it would be. That night we went on a a pub crawl and all I’ll say is that it was fun.


Sunday: Found and ate some fruit and meat kolaches then walked back across Charles bridge because why not to go see the John Lennon Wall. After that we kinda just explored until our bus. Walk to the bus depot was very nice and made me miss our hotel in Vienna. Global Warming is real people, get some damned air conditioning for Pete’s sake. Now I’m on an 8 hour FlixBus back to Bonn where we are for just 2 more days. It’s been an amazing ride and I can only hope it ends on a high in Berlin.

Pictures are me on Charles bridge, me outside Vienna's Natural history museum and the group in one of Vienna's historic medical schools (about 300 years old)
 



No comments: