Tuesday, August 09, 2016

The Days are Ending

The Days are Endings

Wow!  I can’t believe that this is our last week.  It honestly feels like we just got here yesterday and here we are finally in Berlin.  This city holds so much history and with that history comes some pain.  Even today, you can still see the effects of the division across Berlin and even Germany.  When we were viewing the Berlin Wall, we happened upon some posters that were quite disturbing.  I guess you could say that these posters were very closely related to the ideals and purposes that the Nazi party was founded on.  I find it quite saddening that our world still hasn’t learned from all of its mistakes.  Coming to Europe, I was quite naïve about the ways of our world.  It is so easy to stay in my little small East Texas town bubble that you forget that there is more to the world.  I’ve learned so much on this trip and my eyes have been opened to so much.  Sure the sights were great, but it was seeing the world through a different view that was the most rewarding experience of this whole trip.

Our guide in Berlin, Ryan, was absolutely incredible.  You could think of him as a mini Dr. Wasser.  (So he is brilliant)  He was so full of knowledge and he would always throw in some small stories here and there to help keep you entertained and focused.  On the first day, we saw the memorial for the Jews.  The design was so simple yet complicated and if you happened on the site, you probably wouldn’t even know what it was.  The stones reminded me us the headstones/graves that the Jewish community never received.  Each stone is different.  I think this was an effort to try and give back their dignity that was taken away from them.  While here we saw people sitting on the stones and jumping from one to another.  I found this appalling, disturbing, and disrespectful.  It really bothered me that not more respect was shown.

While in Germany, we also visited a concentration camp.  My heart breaks just thinking about it.  Just by walking into the grounds you could feel the atmosphere change.  So much pain, hurt, and humiliation accompanied this land and it is crazy to see how the land still holds onto this.  There isn’t much that grows out there.  I think this is the Earth’s way of never letting us forget what happened there.  Upon entering the concentration camp, there was a sign that says something along the lines of “Work Can Free”.  There was a young woman who went up and posed next to the sign and smiled.  Once again, I was mortified.  I didn’t understand why someone thought it was appropriate to smile and pose next to a sign that ultimately was the signature on a death certificate.    With each turn, I learned more and more about the truly ugly crimes that were committed here.   You can learn about something in a textbook but it isn’t until you really see it, that you can fully understand the extent of what happened.  I know it is something that I will never forget.

I think our world has become too placid.  We don’t teach our children manners anymore and we don’t discipline them.  A place like this should be held with the upmost respect and I hope that one day, everyone who walks through those gates will do that.


Our last day in Berlin was probably my favorite.  We went to the ottoboc.  Here they make prosthetics for the Paralympics.  There was even a little race you could do and it was hilarious seeing how competitive everyone was.  It  was even more amazing to see how far our medical equipment has come today and how far it can still come.  The farewell dinner was actually quite sad.  The food was amazing and Dr. Wasser even surprised us with a belly dancer!  Everyone got up and joined in, so it was quite a sight!  I even got a few videos for good laughs!  It was hard to say goodbye to everyone though.  After being with each other for 39 straight days, these people become your family.  We shared so many laughs and memories that I couldn’t be more thankful for the experience this study abroad program brought me.  If you are on the fence about going, I highly encourage you to go!  Trust me!  You won’t forget it!

No comments: