Monday, August 01, 2016

East vs. West vs. Future

Wednesday morning I woke up cursing the rising sun because all I wanted to do was sleep in. I thought to myself, “I saw an open heart surgery yesterday, what could I possibly learn that is cooler than that?” We finally arrived to the House of History and after getting to the museum I was excited to learn more about Germany post World War II, but I had no idea that it would make me think so much about myself.  Sometimes I have a hard time clicking things in my head, and it wasn’t until Dr. Wasser started talking about the Truman Doctrine, and I saw the Lithuanian flag on one of the posters, that I realized how all these events have impacted my life more than through just a textbook.
I recently met my biological family, and with a language barrier, it was difficult to ask questions about their past and what all they had endured throughout the years.  I didn’t know much about what happened in Germany, or Europe, after World War II besides the divide in Germany and the USSR taking over Eastern Europe. As Dr. Wasser walked us through the museum I couldn’t keep my mind from wondering about my family. Although the histories differ slightly, it felt like I was learning about my families history and a line of events which got me to where I am today. During the tour of the museum I felt all kinds of emotions. I felt loss for all the lives that had been taken during the holocaust, the war, and the Soviet rule. I felt anger towards the Soviet Union and I wanted to blame them for separating me from my biological family. I felt sadness for my family members who had to live through these times, but ultimately I felt happiness and hopefulness.

I wondered how different my life would have been had these events not happened only in Germany, but the rest of Eastern Europe, and as terrible as it sounds, I’m glad they did. Thinking about things like this are quite hard for me, but I would never change the history of our world because without it, I never would have grown up with the amazing mother I have, I wouldn’t have been given the opportunity to study at the best University ever, and I never would have found my way here to Bonn, typing away frantically on this keyboard to get this blog post done.
Familie <3
My biological babushka and ded, and sisters

My biological parents
My other biological sister


No comments: