Monday, August 08, 2016

Stigmatized

The lectures on Euthanasia were very heavy and I left class in a lull. How could a group of people do such horrendous things to a race? And for no reason other than the fact that they didn’t like them. Then I began to think, Euthanasia could be used for something but it is just too stigmatized and everyone gets a little antsy when they hear the word 'euthanasia'. I have come to realize that I support physicians assisted suicide. Euthanasia wasn't always supposed to be a bad thing. It wasn't supposed to wipe out generations of people. It becomes frustrating that we have such a negative outlook on euthanasia when we could use it to help people through psychological assessments and constant monitoring. 
I have dealt with this a personally before. My grandfather suffered for years after a stroke and after his second stroke our family had to watch has he passed away slowly and painfully. Everyday he would beg the doctors to let him die, because being alive was too painful for him physically and mentally. This was also hard for our entire family to see. Instead of seeing my grandpa cracking jokes and messing around with everyone, I just saw an old man dying in a bed. I felt guilty for always thinking to myself "just let hi die already, he is suffering!" At first I though there was no way to justify these thoughts, but there was. I hated seeing my grandfather live his last two months of life miserable and begging to die. Knowing him he would have wanted to be remembered how he was before he started fading away. 
After the Euthanasia lectures this was all I could think about, but Dr. Wasser brought up so good points about how it could help people instead of hurt them, and I agree. I think we should try to get rid of the stigmatism that comes with euthanasia that way we can help the terminally ill and create a happier death for people so they won't die in agony. 

No comments: