Friday, August 05, 2016

Switzerland or die trying

So we had our last weekend in Europe. Well technically, I still have one more weekend in London... But nevertheless, we had our last weekend on our own. Kelcy and I went to Switzerland and it was honestly one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. Green, blue and white dominated the landscape as you saw a million types of trees, lots of sky, and of course cloud after cloud after cloud. We took a cruise on Lake Lucerne on Saturday and we got to relax, have a few glasses of wine, and reflect on our trip here. We were both here for a long time before the Germany trip so I think we were able to bond and connect a lot quicker because we had a common ground. Baring your soul around such incredible scenery is actually really therapeutic! I'm so grateful that I've gotten to know Kelcy over the past five weeks. I think she's an amazing person and we have helped each other grow in so many ways. But anyway, back to the trip. On Sunday we went up Mt. Pilatus in Lucerne. It was absolutely incredible. It was pretty foggy so some of the views were a bit skewed, but wow was it worth it! The views of the Alps and lakes here in Switzerland are awe-inspiring. More times than not we found ourselves wondering what it would be like to wake up to these views every morning. What I've noticed, though, is that when you live somewhere, you seldom appreciate the nature and culture you're surrounded by everyday. Incredible structures turn into the cause of a traffic jam in the morning. Incredible forests become an obstacle for a new apartment complex. I really wish people could learn to appreciate the splendor they live in, even if they don't have a fancy house or a fancy car. You have the SWISS ALPS outside your door! Who cares about a Ferrari?!

We ended up running into a festival Saturday night in Lucerne with tons of street food and amazing vendors selling all sorts of things. This man from Dubai makes shoes and sells them with incredible technique and craftsmanship. These shoes were utterly stunning. Of course I had to get a pair... Or two...

These weekends have really taught Kelcy and I to learn how to be on our own. You learn a lot about a person by traveling with them and you also learn a lot about yourself. I gained a lot from traveling on the weekends, regardless of how exhausting it might be. If there's one thing I took away from the weekends, it's PACK LIGHT! You'll thank yourself later!

No comments: