Sunday, July 03, 2016

Whelp, I tried

I think it's a little frustrating that the locals can pick up that I'm an outsider almost instantly. I've been trying for the last couple days to ask for food and drinks in German, and it seems like the minute I open my mouth, they instantly switch to English for me, which is nice sometimes, but in my head I'm like 'How did you know???'. I know there must be some dead giveaways, like speaking too loudly or not pronouncing the words correctly, but it still baffles me that most everyone can tell pretty quickly. I also feel like the only way I'm going to get better at understanding the language is if I hear other German individuals speak it, and it makes me feel a little frustrated that I'm unable to branch out and understand as quickly as I want to because the locals don't want to waste any time with communication.

But other than that, I've been enjoying the city so far, I've spent most of my time on the museum mile this weekend, and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. I thought I was going to have a bad time at the Kunst Museum because it displays contemporary art, which I'm not the biggest fan of. But after going through the museum, I really liked a lot of the work that was displayed and was really surprised on the European's take on contemporary art. Because at the museum in Dallas, a lot of the contemporary art is full of pieces that are very simple in terms of design and look very similar to each other. I usually get very annoyed by this because that is not what I consider artistic. At the museum, the pieces were way more vivid in color and design, and very few were similar to each other even though each room displayed different pieces done by the same artist. Even the building design was very contemporary as the museum branched in almost every direction once you entered. So I was really happy I went and spent a part of my day there.
I think when I come back from Budapest, I want to try a lot of the different chocolates and beer that Bonn has to offer. I've been told that there's a difference in the taste of cookies Europe than in the states, and I want to see if that holds true. But until then, I'll just have to enjoy the other aspects of the country.
Tschuss!
-Ashley



No comments: