Wednesday, July 13, 2016

First Week Experiences

I've been outside of the United States for 10 days now, and have done so much in that time. The first weekend really was an eye-opener for me, since I've never been anywhere where English isn't the official language. It really gave me perspective on my previous actions back at home. I used to work as a cashier at a grocery store, and would occasionally have to sell to those who were unable to speak English. I'd recognize the confusion in their eyes and try to keep my English simple, but until now was unable to relate. The first time I went grocery shopping, I spent a ton of time trying to figure out what the labels said, didn't know how to count money, and gave the same confused look to the cashier that I'd often been given. While the experience was exceptionally awkward for me, it's definitely given me opportunity for reflection.

I've also realized that my idea of medical care differs somewhat. Western medicine traditionally seems to focus on the disease rather than the person suffering, but alternative medicine caters to the psychological components of health as well and seems much more respected here than in the United States. While in Norderney, we experienced an island dedicated towards rejuvenation of the whole person. There were hardly any cars on the island - the sounds of traffic were replaced by seagull's calls. The spa in particular was incredibly relaxing, and it shocked me that a doctor could prescribe it as therapy, as my experiences with medicine have been largely pharmacological. I got to experience the spa firsthand and then learned the physiological effects of the sauna on the human body. The hot, humid air increases peripheral circulation and heart rate (slightly), and induces sweating. I found the heart rate increase somewhat unnerving, but the sauna, like most homeopathic therapies, poses little risk. While I may not find it most pleasant, I can appreciate the role it plays in other cultures.

I'm now on my way to Vienna and am excited for the next stage of my study abroad. Tschüss!

No comments: