Sunday, July 10, 2016

10 Days in!

Wow!  I can't believe these past ten days have flown by!  In these ten days we've visited so many places that it's hard to keep track of.  Coming over here, I was a little nervous about how I would adapt to the changing of culture and language.  However, it is a lot easier than I thought.  Everyone here is really friendly and majority of people speak english.  I haven't really had much of the culture shock but have experienced a little home-sickness.  I really just think this is due to wishing that everyone at home could experience all these amazing events too.  My parents also warned me about being safe while I was abroad.  With everything that has been happening in the States, I almost feel like I'm safer over here.

While in Norderney, we visited a thalassotherapy spa!  It was amazing!  I am constantly always planning and worrying about what needs to be done, so it was nice to just have a break from everything.  For once I wasn't thinking about what I needed to do or how I could improve my grades, etc.  I was just focused on living in the moment.

While in Hannover, we were able to see a patient who has an artificial heart.  Therefore, he doesn't have a pulse!  It was amazing to see how far technology has come and how far we still can come.  The artificial heart replaces the left ventricle, which essentially bypasses it.  One patient has used this device for ten years and has just completed a full marathon.  I have a healthy heart and I don't even know if I could do that.

My favorite adventure happens to be Salzburg though.  The city is absolutely beautiful.  Especially with being a huge Sound of Music fan, I think all of my dreams came true.  We were able to visit and see all of the different filming locations as well as the church in which they were married.  The architecture here in Europe never ceases to amaze me and I can't wait to see what Vienna has in store!

Overall, I was a little hesitant to come on the trip at the beginning.  I was worried about not being able to adjust to the different culture, food, and language.  But this is by far, one of the best decisions I have ever made.  Everyone on the trip provides a touch of home and just makes you feel great to be there.  I can't wait to see what else is in store in these upcoming weeks!

I've been trying to attach a few photos but the WiFi hates me, so be sure to check out the next post and I'll post more from this trip on there as well!

No comments: