Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Effects of Breathing Clean Air: A Response to Norderney

Wow, what a refreshing three days. Norderney was one of my favorite destinations in Europe. After visiting Hanover and getting an amazing opportunity to meet an incredible (FEMALE!) cardiologist and two (FEMALE!) researchers, it was a well-timed trip that gave me a chance to go over everything I had learned thus far in the trip. Any girl would love a day at the spa, and I am no exception... However, the lectures over saunas and thalassotherapy given by Dr. Wasser and our guest lecturer were just as (not quite more-so... I'm still a girl!) satisfying. I found it fascinating that the air quality on the island is so pure and practically hypoallergenic that it can help alleviate various symptoms associated with dermatological conditions and lung conditions such as asthma or COPD. I questioned myself numerous times during the lectures, wondering why this isn't a treatment option in the US. Sauna therapy seems like a great way to help calm the body and soul, which thereby encourages healing. Formation of "hypoallergenic" air could be accomplished perhaps using various filters, to help mimic the air from the island. The mud, however, couldn't really be mimicked... There are just so many vital components that one can only obtain from the salt water available in the various seas along the coast. I felt so privileged to experience these healing techniques firsthand.

As far as mental health goes, I think the spa had a huge effect on me. My concept of time disappeared the longer I was there: at first, I felt myself wondering constantly "what time is it? Is it time to leave? Where should I be right now?" And then I realized that I could let all of that go. I could focus on myself. Not my phone. Not my friends. Not my daily stresses or pressures. Just myself. There's something magical about that feeling. Losing concept of time is like an ethereal world where you aren't late, you aren't early; you just... Are. You exist. Without concept of anything else. This was a nice feeling to have for a few hours.


No comments: