Friday, July 29, 2016

Vienna and Barcelona

We started Vienna off with a tour from a plague doctor and medications to prevent us from getting it as we were walking through the city. We learned so much in such little time! I really enjoyed going to the Josephinum! We were not allowed to take pictures but the wax models were amazing. I was shocked at how detailed and accurate they were. The makers actually took dead bodies and made molds to make all of the pieces until they had the complete figure. Our guide told us that it took about 200 dead people to make one of the models of a complete person.


Later in the week we went to the Fools Tower. It's crazy how we don't bat an eye at bones and skulls of animals, or even stuffed animals, but when it came to standing in a room of tens of shelves full of human skulls, to looking at a real human child that had been stuffed and preserved... it's hard to describe how I felt about it. The number of skulls made me uncomfortable and the child had me questioning the ethics behind it, even though it was okay at the time it had been done. All in all, it was a very strange, yet fascinating, experience.


Thursday, we flew to Barcelona for the long weekend. By this time in the program, all three of us were missing Tex-Mex and desperately hoping there would be some kind of spinoff of Mexican food. We ordered nachos at a place near our hostel.... and got stale chips with a bowl of watery cheddar cheese.... I did, however, have a great omelet the next morning and a dish called paella that was great. My favorite part of Barcelona was the beach.
 On the left is a picture of a picture on my camera of the water literally glittering. I'm not sure what was in the water but it was beautiful!


Until next time,

Chey

No comments: