Sunday, July 24, 2016

Week In Vienna

Week in Vienna

            The first day in Vienna was interesting to say the least!  Upon arrival, we had a tour with  Dr. Schnovel.  He seemed very familiar at first and I soon found out why Dr. Wasser wasn’t conveniently with us for the train ride.  After all the information Dr. Wasser poured out to us, I think it is safe to say that he has the intelligence of two men!


He is so full of knowledge that I never find myself tuning out of his lectures.  Everything is so interesting and it is amazing to see how far the medical field has progressed throughout the ages.  Especially, with now allowing women the chance to make their marks.  We were able to see a lecture hall that was absolutely breathtaking.  The ceiling held one of the most breathtaking murals I have ever seen.   This probably would have had me a little distracted during lectures. 


Later on we visited a crypt that held various important leaders of Austria.  The detail placed in each casket was remarkable.  These caskets were either created before or after an individual’s death.  Though it was sad to basically be in a cemetery, it was also neat to see the love that could still be found here.  There was a queen who only had her heart buried in the crypt next to her husband.  This was because she was originally from Portugal before she was married to the King.  Therefore it was important for here to return to her homeland but still have her heart along side her husband.  It is remarkable to see how much people cared about their country and the love they had for their country during this time period.  I personally think that our world together could learn a few things from this.


Later on that night we went and all had dinner together.  I think these happen to be my favorite memories of the trip.  We are all so different but we all get along so well.  It is probably due to the fact that we are surrounded by each other 24/7 but we have definitely become a small family while over here.  At dinner, one of the girls and I were convinced to try schnitzel and it is the best dish I have had while abroad!  If you are in Vienna, I highly suggest that you try it!  You won’t regret it!



My favorite part of the trip was getting to see the Josephinum and the wax bodies!  This place was absolutely incredible.  It was such a shame that we couldn’t take pictures but this should only motivate people to go see it in person!  The detail put into each model is stunning.  The models accurately depict the human anatomy.  Over 200 cadavers were required to build just one wax model.  From here, we also visited what used to be a mental hospital.  We were able to see various depictions of infections as well as other medical conditions.  There was a human stomach there from a patient who had swallowed nails.  She couldn’t control herself.  With each turn of the building, I found myself a tad bit disgusted but completely fascinated.  In my VIBS 310 class, we had read a lot of scientific articles about the effect of coal dust on lungs.  Here I was actually able to see lungs that had suffered from this.  The lungs were completely black and it just made the articles finally hit home.


One night we went to a classical music concert.  It was nice to see everyone all dressed up, nice, and not covered in sweat for once!  I don’t have the best musical background but I was still able to appreciate all of the hard work and beauty of the pieces that were played.  Seeing the concert in such a beautiful church didn’t hurt either.  All of the churches here in Europe put my little hometown church to shame.  They are exquisite.  No expense was spared in the construction of these and it is remarkable to see how well preserved and taken care of they are.





Off to Barcelona we go!

No comments: