Saturday, July 09, 2016

Week One = Done

Nine days in already?!  What an adventure it has been!  I have formed friendships that are sure to last a lifetime, and the memories we have made will bring smiles for years to come.  My arrival to Germany went very smoothly, as I was able to meet up with Meaghen, Shelby, and Megan at customs.  The transition was made even easier by how welcomed my host mom, Hilde, made me feel with a comfortable bed and a delicious dinner.  We were also given a helpful tour of the city by one of the AIB student workers. Getting accustomed to Bonn has been a breeze!

The first few days were spent in Bonn where we began our lecture series on History of Medicine led by Dr. Wasser.  The course content is incredibly interesting, and I'm itching to dig deeper and read up on the history when I get home. We also had a lesson on the German language.  On Tuesday we travelled to Hannover to meet with a cardiopulmonary doctor who gave us a lesson on artificial hearts.  I was amazed at how normal a patient can continue to live with a device standing in place of their left ventricle.  I did find it sad that the patient must live with a wire extending from their abdomen and that extra batteries must be constantly available to them; however, if my heart was not functioning correctly, I would happily live with the wires and batteries!  I just believe there has to be a better way.  Also while in Hannover, we visited the university where research was being conducted on the regenerative capabilities of spider silk and axolotls, which are adorable amphibians.  These little guys can regrow amputated body parts!  The most interesting part of the day, for me, was learning about the strength and reparative powers of spider silk.  The researcher we met with had conducted experiments on the effects of repairing damaged nerves in sheep with the silk.  The results blew me away!  The enzymes in the silk gave new life to the injured nerve cells while the flexibility and strength gave the nerve protection.  Who knew the future of nerve repair could be in spider webs?!


The next morning, we took a train and a ferry to the island of Norderney.  Germans believe strongly in the healing power of relaxation, so that is exactly what we did in Norderney!  Cycling was our only mode of transportation on the island, and I can't even describe how picturesque it felt to be riding along the beach on a bicycle.  We spent most of Thursday learning about and experiencing the highly regarded art of thalassotherapy.  We even participated in a mud treatment that left out skin feeling smoother than ever!  Friday morning we were guided through the mudflats of the Wadden Sea before the tide came back up.  There we observed multiple tiny creatures in their natural environment including snails, worms, crabs, and oysters.  Although it was not the most beautiful site, it was neat to be standing where an ocean would be flooding in a matter of hours!

We have done a lot so far, and there is still even more to experience!  I am starting to get slightly homesick because of the time difference and the unpredictability of finding wifi.  I'm sure when things start to pick back up again on Monday, I'll be too busy to even worry about that!  Till then I'll just have to shop for souvenirs to bring home to everyone!

No comments: