Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Waiting is Over!

It's hard to believe that in a few days I will be in Germany! As the departure date nears I am starting to feel a lot of mixed emotions. I am very excited to go on this new adventure. I am anxious to experience a different culture, see new things, and have what I hope will be the time of my life. However, I am also very scared for many reasons. I am afraid of being so far from home, missing my loved ones, and being out of my comfort zone. I'm scared of the drastic change in climate compared to what I've been used to my whole life, and I'm scared of feeling "lost in translation." Most of all I think I'm scared of being unprepared, especially not packing the right things! I hope that when I get to Germany all of my worries will go away and I will find myself having an amazing time.

I never imagined I would participate in a study abroad program but now I can't imagine a better way to experience Europe, and overseas in general, for the first time. Everything is planned out for us, all the excursions, hotels, and cultural experiences. All I have to do is show up! This seems a lot easier than having to plan a family vacation. I am looking forward to the course History of Medicine. My interest in the medical field made it that much easier to make the decision to take this course over all the other study abroad opportunities I saw in the past.

I'm excited to visit and learn about all of the historical places in Germany, to try a lot of new food (I love new food!), and to party all night on New Year's Eve!

Let the adventure begin. See you all in Germany! 

No comments: