Monday, December 24, 2012

Auf wiedersehen, goodbye to the US of A!

 

To start off, I'd like to introduce myself. Howdy, I'm Austin Wang, a sophomore Biomedical Sciences and Psychology double major from Houston, Texas, but most importantly, I'm the loudest, proudest member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015! A-A-A-A-A! Just to clarify, I'm usually not that outgoing when I make introductions but that's not the point of this post.

In 2 days, we will be soaring over the Atlantic Ocean towards Germany. I'm extremely excited and nervous right now because I will finally get to meet everyone and experience German culture for myself. What makes me apprehensive of the coming days are the simple truths that I can't speak German and I have no idea if I'll be prepared for the frigid weather seeing that I grew up in Texas my whole life. Considering we are living and traveling from hotel to hotel and city to city, this will be a new and unique adventure for me (and for all of us, I think!). So just a bit about me. I have an identical twin brother, Aaron, who is also going on this trip. I'm an avid musician and I play principal oboe in the Texas A&M Wind Symphony; that's why I'm pumped about going to see the opera (I think it's L'Italiana in Algeri). 

I've been to Italy once right before my freshman year at A&M, so it's not my first time to Europe, but it'll be my first time officially studying abroad, so to speak. I guess that's why I'm not too worried about culture shock. I'm really looking forward to learning not just about how medicine developed in Europe, but how our world is now a highly integrated and dependent system. As technology improves, the world becomes a smaller place and as educated citizens, we have to acknowledge and respect differences in customs and cultures. I want this trip to be a way for me to look at the world from another perspective. As long as I can get over the weather and my inability to communicate, I think this will be an unforgettable study abroad trip. I know that we'll have a great time learning about Germany and how the field of medicine flourished in Europe; I'm also really excited about visiting the various destinations and all the famous landmarks that I've only read about in books. Alongside the excursions and tours, partying on New Year's Eve in Berlin will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience! 

Aside from all of that, I'm thrilled that we are about to depart and I look forward to meeting and getting to know each of you. Gig 'Em!




No comments: