Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pre-Departure Blog


As I try to fit the final bits and pieces into my confined suitcase, checking and double checking that I have everything: snow boots, plug adapter, winter hat, all the things never needed in Texas, I find myself thinking that in less than twenty four hours I will be hurtling across the Atlantic at nearly 600 mph. I just thumbed through a little German phrasebook my brother gave me for Christmas and realized again how little I know about the German language. I am very excited about the prospect of being immersed in an entirely new culture, and am slightly anxious to see how I fit in. I talked to a friend who lived abroad for many years in Indonesia and said that Western Europe is basically an extension of America culturally so I don’t think that there is that much to worry about. Most of all I am excited about all the history that I will be submerged in. Simply walking through Berlin will be fascinating and I only wish to get there sooner.

No comments: