Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wish I was back in Europe - Final Blog Posting

When i got on to post my last blog, I realized my last 5 posts were not published.... so I'm bombarding this thing with my blogs..... sorry

--------------------------------------------

Travelling to Europe was the best experience of my life! I didn’t really think I was going to change after the trip, I thought I was going to come out with great memories and friends. This trip impacted me in ways I could have not imagined. The most challenging thing in Europe was the language. I had a hard time trying to speak and understand German. I am usually quick in picking up languages but German proved to be very difficult. I used to get mad at my parents because they cannot speak English fluently after living in the United States for almost twenty years. I can now see and understand why they had such a hard time learning a language like English that usually makes no sense.



The most noticeable change I have noticed is my confidence and independence. While in Europe, there were times I could only depend on myself to get to places or figure something out. I have always depended on someone to help me in difficult situations. Also, when I would tell my mom I was going to do something challenging or different, she would always tell me I was not going to be able to do it. For example when I told her I was going to take the bus to get from my host home to school she thought I was going to get lost because I would not understand the language or the transportation system. I have always doubted my abilities to accomplish things that have not been done by my four over achieving older sisters. My mom would kill me if she found out I went to Paris all by myself and stayed in a hostel sharing a room with two random guys. But at least now I know I am capable of traveling on my own and I can't wait to do it again.


I have also realized I take more risks now. OK so some people would not consider going to the lake a risk, but I do since I do not know how to swim. I lost my fear of water after I went canyoning in Switzerland.

I have also noticed I walk to more places more often; before I would never consider walking from west campus to the Gateway apartments. I find myself making this trip about twice a week. There are times I just feel like walking. I did A LOT of walking in Europe, especially in Paris. I walked almost across the entire city. Now it seems like there is no distance too long to walk.

I have also taken initiative to learn German. I downloaded an app to my iphone that teaches me simple German words and phrases. I am saving money to buy the Rosetta Stone program to learn the proper grammar.

I find myself thinking about my time in Europe almost every day. Sometimes I wish I could just jump on a plane and be back in Bonn with my host family. I plan on going back to Europe really soon. If my summer is free next year and if I have saved up enough money for a flight, I will return to Germany. My host mom already offered her home and even a job. I hope I can take my parents to Germany so they can see it is not as dangerous as they believed.

No comments: