Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Vienna First Part of the Week

After leaving Interlaken, we made our way to Zurich to get on a night train to Vienna. In Zurich we grabbed something quick to eat. It was like a hot dog but it was in a loaf of bread. It was pretty good, but we got ripped off because we had to pay in Euros because we were out of Francs, and the lady charged us the same price. On the night train to Vienna I got a couchette which is a little cot-like bed. I was in a compartment with 5 other people I didn't know, and although I got a middle bed which is the best one this train ride was by far the worst one I went on the entire trip. The beds were extremely small and uncomfortable, and there was no place to put your stuff so you had to put it on the end of the bed which made the short beds even shorter. Every time I almost went to sleep the train started rocking or I would get hot or cold. I probably slept about an hour combined the whole night. In the morning I got breakfast which consisted of two rolls and hot tea. This was actually pretty good, but I spilt the hot tea all over myself and the bed almost as soon as I got it. I got more tea, but as there was no where to eat but my bed I had to eat what wasn't tea-soaked and just get ready to leave. I was relieved to make it to Vienna to say the least. It took us a little wandering to find the hotel even though we were right by it off of the tram. A couple of our rooms were ready and I immediately went up to the room, took a shower and went to sleep. We walked to McDonalds and ate lunch before going back to the hotel and resting some more. It was really hot in Vienna, and it made it especially difficult to go to sleep. Matt and I also shared a bed. While this allowed for some quality bonding time, it was not very comfortable for sleeping. I had my first schnitzel with veal in Vienna, and it was amazing. I liked it better than the pork which I also thought was good. We went to Freud's house in Vienna before he left to go to London. It was pretty interesting, but I was expecting more of his stuff to be there. It was kind of empty with pictures of how it used to look. More Vienna to come!

No comments: