Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Surgery and Haribo

July 26

The surgery was very exciting!!! I’m glad we got to witness a surgery since we were not able to at the cardiac center. I witnessed 2 surgeries that day; one laparoscopic shoulder surgery and a laparoscopic knee surgery. I thought I was going to be able to handle the surgeries just fine since I have no problems with blood or anything. In the first surgery, the surgeon made a small incision on the shoulder and then struggled with the instrument to get it inside the shoulder joint. It looked painful. Blood was pouring out of the incision. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. I did not want to walk out and miss out on a surgery so I tried to ignore my stomach. I was in the room with two other girls who did not speak English very well and the surgeon was mainly talking to them in German so I did not understand him at all. Halfway through the surgery I began to feel dizzy, the room was cold and I was sweating profusely. According to the girls in the room with me, I was extremely pale. I did not want to leave because the surgeon was about to open the patient to expose the joint since he could not finish laparoscopically but I had to. I can’t really explain what happened but I was really mad at myself. I took a little break and then went back for the second surgery and was fine for the rest of the time. I really enjoyed the second surgery. The smell of burning flesh filled the room, it was really bad. The surgeon compared himself to Yoda from Star Wars and his instrument was his light saber. I wish I could have stayed for a third surgery. I could have found my way back to school and I did not have to go to the Haribo store. I am glad we went to the store though. I bought too much candy though.

No comments: