Sunday, July 09, 2023

Week 3: Amsterdam, Paris, and More

 What a crazy week this was! After my trip to Nordeney, I was ready to travel around Europe and beyond. The first stop was Amsterdam, and I was not prepared for what happened there. First of all, I first realized why people are not the DB's number one fan. With delays following us on every train we took, I was everything but calm. Nevertheless, we finally made it to our destination after traveling all day. Amsterdam was beautiful; the canals, architecture, and everything else made it a wonderful place to be! However, I soon reached a snag in my trip. Without realizing how strict the hotels of Amsterdam were, my friend booked a single room for the both of us. However, what we did not realize was that a single room was in fact a single room - only one person was supposed to stay there. At this point, my friend and I had two options, try and find a new place for me to stay, or try and finesse this single room - we opted for the latter. After developing this elaborate plan, my friend and I tried to get in the room and failed miserably, the front desk guy clocked us right away. The whole plan was for me to 'act drunk' so that I would be forced to stay in the room with her, although after I managed to get into the room, the front desk guy was persistent and came and knocked on our door to have me leave! In the end, through much convincing and pleading, he allowed me to stay with an additional fee, but that was the start to this eventful trip. 


The next day we went to Paris, and I meet with my cousin. I got there without any hiccups, and I had a great time. I hung out with my cousin and other friends there! The big conflict happened when I was headed back. I got to the train station early and was just - waiting. About 30 minutes before my train is scheduled to leave, I go upstairs and look for the platform just to find out that I was at the wrong station! In a hurried state, I realize that it is not too difficult to get the right station, but of course everything was going wrong. The line to buy a metro ticket was long, then I missed the train and then because of so many hesitations, I missed to train by no more than 2 minutes. I must admit, during the next hour, I was all over the place. I was sad, frustrated, angry, worried, but I pulled myself together and just perservered. I must also thank my cousin and friends for giving me strength and keeping me leveled. I just got on the next train and from there it was smooth sailing. My connection went smooth because I was able to just catch the next train and made it back in time for SZA!!

After reflecting on this day and trip, I realized that I just need to trust myself. If I had just trusted myself, after I made an initial mistake, I could have made my train on time. However, I kept on doubting myself and missed my train. But if I had gone with my gut, I would have made it. Trusting my gut is something that has always been difficult for me because I am an overthinker, but from now on I will try and trust myself and realize that even if I make a mistake when boking a hotel or miss my train, I will find a way to push through and make it pass whatever hurdle I have. 

No comments: