Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Reflection

As I write this post, I already know what emotions are going to be flying through my head; they're all good ones. The first 6 weeks of this summer I got to experience things that most people will never get to experience in an entire lifetime. The places, the people, the things, and the friendships made will be the biggest things I will take away from this trip. The roller coaster of culture shock and the whole adjustment back to "American" life... just a few more things to point out.

First, the people in our summer 1 program were absolutely amazing. The trip would have been no where as fun if our group as a whole didn't get along. Although most of us had never met before, after 6 weeks it was almost as if we had been best friends our whole lives. I am glad to see that even now, back in the states, we are still close friends. Just last night I saw pictures of Nick, both Sarah's, and Joanna on Northgate haha. For an American, Europe isn't just a place, it is an experience. And my experience wouldn't have been the same without these people. Thank you all for that.

Second, the places. Nick and I traveled to 7 countries in our short time over seas. Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, United Kingdom, Austria, Czech Republic, and Ireland. Before this trip the only time i had really traveled outside of Texas was to visit family in a different state. It blew my mind how geographically close people are while being so culturally different. For instance, a 1 hour train ride later, we'd be in a different country speaking a different language. From each place I went, I made sure to take a moment out of my day to make a mental picture of the situation I was in. In Prague I sat down on a bench on top of the Prague Castle and just looked at the skyline as the sun began to set. I think that is when it finally hit me that I wasn't in America anymore. Words cannot describe the insane amounts of cultural shock I went through. And I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of all my new friends.

For every place we went, one of our two professors, Dr. Wasser and Dr. Waltz, always knew something. It became something of a competition to ask a question one of them couldn't answer. After seeing open heart surgery along with the countless of medical museums, hospitals, and exhibitions, I can say that my view on medicine is definitely different than before my trip over there. In Europe, almost all healthcare is universal; everyone will get the help they need regardless of their financial position. Back home in the US, I see what we are trying to do with Obamacare, medicaid, and medicare. I don't think we are implementing it in the most efficient way however, after spending time in numerous countries that had universal healthcare, I know for a fact it can be done. I also have a new found respect for the European doctors. I made the decision to pursue a career in medicine only about 2 years ago. In the United States, that is fine however, in Europe you are admitted into medical school straight out of high school. The doctors over there knew exactly what they wanted to do in life by the age they were 18.

Although I missed home while abroad, I think about Germany and Europe as a whole almost every day. So many things I was able to see and so many experiences I was able to experience. I am currently in the process of planning my next Euro-trip for the summer after I graduate and (hopefully) before medical school. I will most likely visit Köln and Bonn on a second trip. Mostly just to eminence on all the craziness that happened in those 6 weeks. My advise to anyone thinking about studying abroad: do it, there is literally no way possible you could regret it.

No comments: