Sunday, August 27, 2017

Let's All Go Back

     While the heroes journey is coming to an end, the first thought that comes to mind when looking back on this trip is the fact that I would do anything to go back and relive the adventure of a lifetime. Furthermore, there isn't a single thing I would have changed about the trip except the fact that it should've been longer. Having conversations with people about this trip triggers a feeling of nostalgia and sadness, but also feelings of gratitude and growth.
     Coming back to America after being in Europe for 6 weeks was a strange, but delightful experience. There were a few things I had missed such as driving, free water, air-conditioning, and open spaces, however I realized that the absence of these everyday commodities was the key to getting out of my comfort zone and getting the most of my experience in Europe. Despite being out of my comfort zone, there were a few significant things I learned on this trip that I will hold on to for a lifetime.
     The first main thing I have learned from going to Europe was to be patient. There were countless instances when things didn't go our way. Missing trains, delayed transportation, getting mugged, and the list goes on. It's all part of the adventure and experience. Instead of panicking in times of trouble, I learned to actually enjoy it, learn from it, and make it a memory worth talking about. Furthermore, the people weren't always the kindest, especially in restaurants, and I had to be patient with them knowing that we come from different cultures and different backgrounds. What is socially acceptable in my culture may be an abomination in another, so being patient and learning from mistakes was a huge lesson learned.
     Another important lesson learned was to be more curious and always seek out knowledge and wisdom. This trip gave me the desire to explore books I've never read before, not for the purpose of entertainment, but for the purpose of learning. Furthermore, it helped me realize that curiosity is key to getting the most out of the experience. The curiosity of different cultures, languages, and beliefs opens the door to your mind to be filled with all this new knowledge that you can pass on to others.
     Furthermore, another thing I learned is to find beauty in the little things. Watching the sunset on the North Sea, riding in a train overcrowded with people from all different backgrounds, tasting new foods you thought you would never have. These little things add up to form a collage of memories and lessons you can look back on and cherish.
     The last, but most important thing I learned over this journey is that we are all one people. Yes, we may be separated by thousands of miles and hundreds of millions of gallons in the oceans, but we are still on the same earth. Yes, we may behave differently, have different cultures and customs, and speak completely different languages, but we all look at the same moon at night and are burned by the same sun. We all have needs, we all have emotions, we all have strengths and weaknesses, we all have influence, and we all have a purpose.
     With the knowledge and wisdom that I have gained from this study abroad, my life in America will be much more fruitful, and I will get the most out of every situation. I have a greater appreciation for the life that I have been given and overall, I am just eternally thankful that I had this opportunity that not many people get. Let's all go back.

No comments: