Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Germany History of Medicine in Retrospect

Sometime during the Fall of 2016, I made it a goal of mine to one day go abroad, although for some reason I didn’t think it would happen anytime soon. I did not realize at that moment just how possible it was for me to do so, and that I could do so that very next summer too. Funny enough, just around that time I received an email from Dr. Wasser, where he talked about the Germany History of Medicine program for the summer of 2017. As a pre-med student and Biomedical Sciences major, this program was just too perfect and exactly what I was looking for. I went ahead and applied, not thinking or worrying about how I would pay for it, knowing I’d have lots of options and resources available for financial aid here at A&M. This was by far a decision I could not be more glad I made, and have not once thought twice about since the trip.

It wasn’t until I was on my way to the airport that it actually hit me that I was about to travel across the Atlantic and be thousands of miles away from home for a whole six weeks. I was suddenly nervous, excited and somewhat scared for a second, then I figured it was normal to be having all these feelings at once given what was about to happen. As far as expectations go, I went into this program with a very open mind, willing to take on whatever came my way and hoping to take in as much as possible while in Europe. I of course knew a few things going in, such as some of the cultural and language differences, the difference in transportation and how people got around in Germany, the way money is handled, etc. I’ve got to say though, once you’re actually there and take a second to look around and reflect on what is going on, it’s quite amazing. You’re at a place you’ve (probably) never been before and maybe never even thought you’d ever be, as it was in my case. All of the sudden everyone around you speaks a different language and behaves differently. The architecture is completely different than in the states, the currency, the food, and even the license plates in cars. It’s a lot to take in, but it’s at the same time extremely exciting.

There were many surprises for me during my time in Germany, most of which were not very pleasant, but nonetheless added to the experience. First, water is not free at restaurants, in fact, it’s usually pretty expensive, which encouraged me to go for the cheaper, not as healthy drink alternatives. Most places do not accept credit cards so having cash at all times is essential. Public transportation is heavily used and depended on by most people, including us students. Pickpocketing is real, and so is straight-up robbery in major cities (not to scare anyone, but we did have one or two attempts made on us).

There were also more pleasant surprises, such as the amount of people that spoke English there, making getting around a lot easier than it would’ve been otherwise. The depth of the history that is held in Europe was also quite surprising. The number of museums and sites we were able to visit. The number of cities and countries (I managed to visit 8 different countries during those six weeks). The natural beauty of places like Switzerland. Overall, just the amount of places, people, and information I was able to learn about and visit, in just six weeks. Needless to say, the entire trip had me exhausted towards the end, but it could not have been more rewarding.

This is something you hear often from people who have gone abroad, but it is for a reason because it’s very true. And that is, that going abroad changes you. It changes your perspective on the world. It makes everything you’ve ever learned or heard about Europe that much more real. It makes you no longer see your country as the center of the world. It makes you appreciate the little things in life, things you often take for granted back home (such as free water). It enlightens you as to why international students often have a hard time adjusting to their new environment. It gives you a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. It allows you to further grow and discover yourself, your interests, your passions.

To finish this off, I’d like to share some advice for anyone considering studying abroad. Don’t think twice about it, and just go for it. It’s going to be scary at times, you’re going to be stressed, worried, tired and confused, but will not once regret your decision. Prepare and educate yourself as much possible beforehand, learn a bit about the language and culture, places you’d like to visit, foods you’d like to try, etc. This will make the experience a lot smoother and more fulfilling. Try new things and step out of your comfort zone, explore. Make the most out of your time there since who knows when you’ll have a chance to go back. Take a moment every now and then to look around, appreciate and take it all in. Immerse yourself in your new environment.

I’m now back in the United States, where I’ve readjusted back to my old life, but with a completely new perspective of myself and the world, and countless and amazing memories that will last a lifetime.

Jubel zum besten Sommer meines Lebens,


Miguel G.

No comments: