Monday, August 28, 2017

It Wasn't Just a Dream

Less than two months ago, I was sitting in an airport ready to leave Europe and be home with my family, but now as my senior year of college is beginning all I want is to go back. Since I have been home, people have asked how my trip abroad was and I can't talk about it enough. I tell them of the different countries I visited, the many museums we were able to tour, the interesting surgeries we were able to observe, and of the amazing friends I made along the way. However, as I share these stories with my family and friends, I almost have to remind myself that these things really happened. It was more than a dream.
Adjusting back to life in Texas went very smoothly. I did not even experience much jet lag, which was very unexpected, but nice. It is very convienent to be able to drive my car whenever I wish to go somewhere, but not spending money on gas was a huge plus with the public transportation in Europe. I do miss being able to sit at a little cafe, with a nice breeze blowing through, while everything around you is simply beautiful. I have noticed that Americans are much more rushed in their day-to-day lives. For example, lunch here can last maybe 30 minutes to an hour, while I recall one lunch in particular lasting 4.5 hours in Bonn. That was a bit long for me, but it was still so nice to just sit and talk to each other during this time. Overall, there is just a more relaxed atmosphere in Europe that I love and miss. Even though it was probably the busiest 6 weeks of my life, there was just something about getting off of the 610 bus each morning and picking up a pastry and coffee on the 10 minute walk to class that did not make you feel so rushed. Part of me misses walking everywhere, and that's a statement I never saw myself making.
Germany definitely changed me. I feel much more independent and confident than before. I think this stemmed from having to figure out public transportation on my own, communicating with people in a different language, and even from deciding to go on this study abroad trip without knowing anyone else. I figured going into the trip that I would make a couple of friends, but I had no idea that I would meet a group that I would be able to call lifelong friends. I really liked everyone that went on the trip, and surprisingly, all 25 of us clicked pretty well. There were five people that I really got close with though. I have been able to hangout with each of them and visit some of their hometowns since getting back. They were a huge part of making my travels in Europe so wonderful. It would not have been the same without them.
This trip was a once in a lifetime experience, one I will tell my kids about, and one I will cherish forever. It has made me into the person I am. Germany has given me a taste of world and I cannot wait to explore it more.

No comments: