Thursday, August 06, 2015

My Last Days in Bonn

The last couple of days in Bonn were very bittersweet. The day after we got home from Amsterdam we had our History of Medicine classes, and then we went to the Cologne Zoo. The zoo was nice to visit. We were able to go behind the scenes of the elephant exhibit and see where they feed and train the animals. The Cologne Zoo also had an entire exhibit for the raccoon, which I didn't really understand but that's okay. The next day we visited the teaching hospital and were able to shadow the surgeons. This was honestly my favorite part of the trip. I watched two general surgeries, which is my personal favorite, and they let me put in an IV. This was super exciting, especially because I had never put in one before. I was so happy. After watching a couple of surgeries we visited the Museum of Anesthesia where we saw the different forms of anesthesia and how it developed throughout history. The man giving the tour had founded the museum and already had many of the artifacts before starting the museum, which was pretty cool. On Wednesday, we toured the Hildegard Museum and wandered around the garden. We then took a cruise on the Rhine River. It was soo pretty. I may have slept for a little bit though. Dr. Wasser for sure took a nap on the boat so I found it to be somewhat acceptable if I did as well. After getting off the boat we began the treacherous journey of hiking up a gigantic mountain. The journey was rough, and a few of us fell behind. At one point we were forced to make a weighing decision on whether we should take the easier, but longer and steeper, route or to take the shorter, but deadlier route. The group decided to take the shorter, but deadlier route. It was dangerous, but we eventually made it to the top of the mountain alive.  Just kidding. We actually got off the boat and had to walk up a very steep path to a castle that is on a very tall hill. At one point we did have to hike up a path where several of us opted to crawling up it so that we wouldn't slip and fall down. Once we were there though the castle was very interesting. You couldn't go in it because it was a ruin, but we did go through the caves/mines that were underground. It was very dark so we had to use candles to see, which was pretty cool. For our last day in Bonn, we had our last couple of history of medicine classes, did some last minute souvenir shopping, and then went to an art gallery. It was bittersweet. Then I had to pack all of my things for our last excursion in Berlin. I miss Bonn already.

No comments: