Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Last Week in Bonn

            I’m going to miss Bonn. The more I understood the city and its transportation, the more I loved it. Being in a new place can be stressful, but Bonn was beyond the period of newness to where I was comfortable with it. We’ve been to Berlin, Hannover, Norderney, and Cologne, but Bonn had the best beer gardens. You could drink your Kolsch and watch the ships move down the Rhine. My host mother was great to me. She gave me two square meals a day and even washed my clothes for me. No other experience can match living with a host family, and I am glad to have lived with a host family in Bonn.
              Meeting at the train station at 6:30 might have been a little rough, but observing the surgeries was worth the tiredness. I observed a surgery where a patient had an infection in their recently installed spinal disk prosthetic. Using electro-cauterization, the surgeons remedied the infection. Then they replaced the cleaned prosthetic. The surgery showed me that I do not want to become a surgeon. Cutting people open does not interest me. Psychiatry interests me now. After visiting the Freud museum and hearing the lecture given by Dr. Wasser about the man himself, I am now considering pursuing a career in psychiatry.

              The anesthesiology museum tour was interesting. Dr. Wasser attempted to prepare us for the tour, but I do not think that any sort of preparation was completely possible for what we experienced. I learned a lot. I saw an iron lung for the first time. But the tour guide liked to ramble. But his kind of rambling was acceptable because his rambling was interesting information about anesthesiology. However, it made for a very long tour. The museum was hot, and we had all woken up at 5 am that morning, so the sleep was visible in everybody’s eyes. And don’t quote me on this, but I am pretty sure someone fell asleep standing up and fell onto one of the display cases. But again, don’t quote me on this.

No comments: