Wednesday, August 05, 2015

All the feels

The last four days of the trip were perfect. Berlin is a real neat place. When we first arrived, we had a bike tour of the highlights of the city. Though biking through the very busy city was mildly terrifying, biking was a great way to see and get to know the city quickly. That night we hit up a street fair near Alexanderplatz, which was fun other than some German dude asking why we weren’t fat since we’re Americans. Rude. Oh, and Collin had to beat up a guy who stole his backpack (not really). 

The next day, we visited the concentration camp, Sachsenhausen. To stand in a place where some of the most atrocious crimes against humanity ever committed took place left me sad and angry. It was an awful place to be, but I am so thankful to have gone. Talk about perspective. Afterwards, a group of us went to the East Side Gallery to see the Berlin wall, which was another humbling and moving experience. 

We also visited the medical school in Berlin, which was neat, the Reichstag, the German equivalent of the Capitol, and the Ottobock Institute. The Reichstag had a glass dome you could climb up; the view of Berlin was incredible. The Ottobock Institute was hella fun. They had all sorts of interactive games that demonstrated how their prosthetics worked. The work they do is unbelievable and extremely interesting. Visiting the Ottobock Institute was one of my favorite tours of the entire trip. 
Reichstag Dome
We ended with a bang. The goodbye dinner was one of the most fun and memorable parts of the entire trip. The food was amazing, the alcohol was free flowing, and everyone was having a great time. Dr. Wasser and Helen surprised us with a mini piano concert and (brace yourselves) a belly dancer. At first, the belly dancer freaked me out a bit, but then we all started dancing in the restaurant, and it was seriously so fun.
Helen and belly dancer 
Before the dinner, I was mostly happy about going back to the States; I missed my bed, my AC, my family, and (most of all) sleeping. Post-dinner me is mostly sad. After spending every day with the same 14 people, you’d think I’d be sick of them. I’m not. Y’all made me laugh, pushed me to try new things, explored Europe with me. Though we’re all not bff’s, I can’t wait to reunite in CStat and party German style. 


I guess what I’m trying to say is thanks. Y’all rock.  

No comments: