Monday, August 03, 2015

Auf Wiedersehen Europa. Howdy Texas

These last few days of the program I have spent in Berlin. The first day here we took a city bike tour. I was terrified for my life because I am not a very good biker, but needless to say I survived. Berlin, compared to other European cities, looks very modern. Also, there is history everywhere from both world wars and the Cold War times when Berlin was spilt in half. On the tour, we got to see so many historical sites. It was mind boggling. To stand where the famous book burning took place in 1933. To be by the university the Grimm brothers went to. To stand meters up from the bunker were Hitler committed sucicde. To be by the Berlin Wall. To stand in the Death Strip.  The whole tour was just eye opening to all the history in Berlin.

On Tuesday, we went to visit Sachsenhausen which was a concentration camp during World War II. From the moment I stood in front the gates of the entrance, a heavy feeling just settled over me. It was hard to walk the camp where so many people where killed even though its purpose wasn't as an extermination camp. Despite it not being an extermination camp, it did have a system in place to end lives. The hardest thing for me to see was how close German citizens lived to the camp. It was literally on the other side of the fence. The citizens knew there were certain days they couldn't do laundry because of the concentration camp. Words are beyond grasp to completely explain the experience of being in Sachsenhausen. I am grateful I was able to see history which I have learned about for so long with my own two eyes.

I have been very impressed with how Berliners have preserved history in their city.
Also, because of their history, they strive to be honest and transparent. For example, the German parliament, the Reichstag, has a glass dome looking over the parliamentary room so the German citizens can stand above and watch while they are in session. In addition, when the Reichstag was redone after reunification, the government decided to leave Russian writing on the walls from World War II along with bullet holes. Another example of this is a large portion of the city center was set aside for the Jewish memorial.

Tomorrow I leave for home sweet home. The time has gone by so fast, but I have made so many wonderful memories. It really has been a once in a lifetime experience and I am so glad I got to come. I am sad I will be leaving Europe. It has been such a wonderful oppurtunity to be able to learn so much history where it took place. To see history with my own two eyes and take it all in. To study under such a wise and knowledgeable professor. I am going to miss speaking German (the very little that I know) and hearing so many other languages and eating new foods. However, while I am dreading the extremely long day of travel (31+ hours), I am ready to get some rest and be with family and have A.C. and free public restrooms. I already have my first meal planned. Mexican food! :)

No comments: