Wednesday, August 05, 2015

As we go on we'll remember all the times we had together

Concentration camp-
The concentration camp was really a somber experience. Most of the buildings that were still standing were replica’s of what they used to be because the originals all got destroyed. We were shown the medical buildings at the camp and told that for a concentration camp Sachsenhausen actually had a very modern medical facility for its time. There was some experimentation done there and some people were refused treatment, but for the most part it was a good medical facility and it was the one they would show the Red Cross when they came to visit. Sachsenhausen was not known as an extermination camp but more of as a work camp. For punishment some people were forced to wear boots and walk 24 miles a day. They showed us a model of one of the houses that held the people and told us how many people were supposed to sleep in the area. It was way more people than I thought would fit in that area. It is still unimaginable to me that people could do something like this to other people.

Charlite Learning Center and Museum-
The Learning center was really cool because students, who wanted to get more hands on practice with everyday tasks they would do as doctors, created it. Our tour guide told us that they would get through their first couple of years of medical school and then would be working with doctors and would get asked to go put a catheter in patient, when they had never done it before. This facility has a lot of dummies that you can practice on hearing different heart problems or breathing problems on. After the Learning center we went to the Charite museum and we had the best tour-guide of the trip pretty much. He was so interesting as he showed us around the Museum and had really good historical stories to keep us entertained.

Reichstag-
We were late, oops. We were rushed through security and then someone had to lead us into the building. When you go in you have to go into an air lock room before you can even enter the actual building. Then we got handed to another worker who lead us to the tour group. We were about 15 minutes late to the tour and they had already seen some stuff. They showed us around the rest of the building and we got to take pictures outside of the chancellor’s office. We got to go into the parliamentary room and then up to the ceiling where the coupole is. The coupole was so awesome and the city looked so pretty from all the way up there.

Farewell Dinner-
Dr. Wasser said it was the end of the program. Jacob probably shed one single tear into his beer before he finished it and Alyssa is crying because she loves us so much. Dinner was amazing though. Everything they had out for us to eat was “lecker”. We had a couple surprises through out dinner that included some pianist, as well as dancers, and an interesting Turkish custom that many of us couldn’t finish.

The first group just left to the airport. I’m sitting in the hotel room waiting until my group’s taxi comes at 7am. It’s eerily quiet. Not just because It’s 4:30 in the morning but because I know that our trip is over. They asked us last night at dinner what our favorite part of the trip was overall, and I would have to say my favorite part was the people I met. Every single person out of this group has influenced me in some way and I know life back home will feel a little empty not being able to see them everyday. I thought I was ready to go home but as my mind races back through all the memories we’ve had together I don’t think I am. It was quite a bit of time, but it felt so short. I had adapted to the constant companionship and home just won’t feel the same. Even though this is not where we come from, we came, we conquered, and these are my people. We navigated through so many different cities and different cultures together and I’ve created bonds with some of the group that I know will last a long time. I wouldn’t change anything about the experience I have had.

Squad out.

No comments: