Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Good ol’ Bonn

Though not as relaxing as I would've hoped, the last four days in Bonn included some of my favorite excursions of the trip. It was an action packed 3 days, so I'll go through each one.

Day 1: After class, we went to the Cologne Zoo. Hate to be that guy, but was not impressed (I'm not much into zoos anyway so). I think it was mainly because of the tour guide; she was not the friendliest of sorts. She showed us a raccoon exhibit #exotic, and said some little snide comment about how American's are lazy/fat and don't like walking up hills. She wasn't exactly #modelstatus, so I heavily resented that comment. The elephant behind the scenes tour was really interesting. We didn't interact with the elephants directly (slightly dangerous as they are rather large), but we learned all that goes in to taking care of them. Cool stuff. By far, the highlight of the trip was the goat exhibit. They had teeny tiny pygmy goats that you could go pet and play with and they were just so cute omg <3.
SO FREAKIN CUTE.

Day 2 (aka best day ever): Day 2 was Uniclinic day. We had to wake up crazy early, and I was stupid and went to bed crazy late, so the struggle was hella real. It wasn't my first time to watch a surgery, so I was excited, but not like OMG SURGERIES!!!! excited. When we go to the hospital, we all scrubbed up, then were assigned departments. Annie and I were shuttled off the cardiology. I walk into my operation room, and the anesthesiologist (the real mvp), who spoke perfect english, was super nice, and answered all my questions, tells me I will be watching open heart surgery. My excitement got real real then. The poor bloke who required surgery had two "leaky" valves, the aortic and the mitral valve. The mitral was repaired, and the aortic was completely replaced. It was one of the best experiences of the entire trip. I got to watch a septum get sawed in half. I got to see a heart that was not beating slowly come back to life. It was unbelievable. 

Later that day, we went to the History of Anesthesia museum. It was about this time that my excitement wore off and exhaustion kicked in, so I don't really remember the first half of the tour, but the second half was very interesting! The collection was extensive and impressive. 

Day 3: This day, we visited the Hildegard of Bingen museum, which was cool, and took a Rhine cruise, which was amazing. The Rhine is truly spectacular. Every little valley has a small German village with a castle. We lost count at like 15 castles, I think. We got off the cruise at St. Goar's and walked up the Rhinefels Castle. The castle was so cool. The best part was when everyone sang Happy Birthday to me in the old, massive wine cellar and I blew out the candles we had used in an underground tunnel. Y'all rock. 
Castle + River = <3

Next and final stop was Berlin.

No comments: