Monday, December 19, 2011

Only 1 Week Left

So there's about one week left till I head off to Germany. I still have so much stuff left to get and pack since I've done absolutely nothing since school has ended. I think I've been so thrilled with the idea that I'm actually going to Germany this winter that I haven't actually taken the time to start preparing for the trip. But I guess that's what this next week is going to be for.

I'm super pumped about the trip itself. I've never been to Germany before so I'm looking forward to a unique experience. The country obviously has a very rich history and it should be pretty cool to witness some of it firsthand. I'm also interested in seeing how the "European" culture compares to that of the "American" culture. It'll be fascinating to see if the people there are as amused by us Americans as we are with Europeans here. But with all the excitement do come a few concerns. Naturally, going to a country where I do not speak the language poses an obvious challenge. Also, I realize I will have to make certain adjustments, such as the time difference, which might prove to be frustrating. In addition, the weather during the winter in Germany is not known to be merciful, and being a slender guy, this does not bode well for me.

But despite these concerns, I wouldn't have signed up to go if I did not feel that the pros outweighed the cons. The trip should provide a different kind of excitement in my life that I have not experienced before. As an aspiring physician, I think it will be pretty cool to see how medicine is practiced and has evolved in Europe. I'm hoping this experience will be able to show me another side of medicine that will in someway shape my future. I'm really looking forward to meeting and getting to know a lot of new people. I'm sure I will become close with the people I travel with, but in addition, I want to interact with the locals and really get to know more about German culture. The free weekend in Prague should also be exciting. I always see these iconic images of the Prague Castle so it's going to be pretty cool to be able to visit the city it's in and maybe even visit the castle itself.

Hopefully, the whole trip will be an awesome experience and I'll have stories to tell for a long time.

No comments: