Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Deutschland in one week!

After eagerly awaiting this trip for the entire semester, the fact that it is just under a week away is difficult to believe. I love traveling, and most of what comes with it, so what makes me nervous isn’t the fact that I’ll be in a different country; I’ve visited the UK, Egypt and India. What I’m worried about is the fact that I know what rounds to no German and I’ve never experienced actual winters, just the ones in Texas. The jacket I bought is probably too much. All but one of my experiences abroad come from elementary school, so I don’t remember them well but my most recent trip to India last year was amazing. Nothing compares to the feeling of seeing structures that are hundreds if not thousands of years old and built by the people you read about in history books. Germany, of course, should have no shortage of these.


While reading Blood and Guts, the advances in the knowledge, treatments and even culture of medicine constantly astound me. Learning about the history and current state of medicine should be a great way to spend three weeks. After shadowing doctors this summer, I found it interesting to see how different physicians have different approaches to and opinions about the same situation. Some even talked about the differences between American and European medical practices. After visiting clinics and hospitals, I hope I’ll have a better understanding of where those differences do and do not exist. Especially when it comes to socialized medicine and if it really is as evil as some tend to think.

This will be my first time abroad without family, but that shouldn’t be a problem, Aggies are great people. Riding the trains should be interesting and how can I not mention the German food and beer? Currywurst sounds pretty good.

No comments: