Monday, December 19, 2011

Pre-Game Throughts on the Wintermester

In less than a week I will be on a plane to the other side of the world.  In less than a week I will be leaving behind Texas, America, friends, family, and going on an adventure of sorts--to a place in some ways familiar and in other ways radically different.

It seems a bit crazy for me to speculate on what lies ahead in Germany.  I'm excited for several things, I suppose.  First, my hope is that in seeing surgeries, medical museums, and the like, I will be inspired to take on biomedical engineering again.  Every semester thus far has been enormously challenging, and a reminder of what all the work is for will refresh my winter-break collapse in motivation.  I'm excited to see how I can really help people with what I'm learning.  That it isn't just countless hours of studying and skimming for exam questions in textbooks--that it's genuinely for the benefit and service of other people.  That is something for which I'm pretty excited.

Also on the list: beer.  And, I don't mean Bud Lite.  I'm talking quality beer.  The chance to take in another culture and worldview in the company of what are sure to become close friends.  I'm excited for a period of constant learning, and to be taken out of my element.

This is a chance that many people don't get, so I'm looking forward to getting to experience so many "new" things.  Which, without sounding presumptive, seems like a guarantee.  Let's go!

No comments: