Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Abroad Again

Last summer, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Spain. The experiences I had there made me that much more interested in being a part of this program. Before studying abroad, I had never left the United States, and I had not even traveled very much within the states. Being abroad made me more open-minded, and I loved seeing life from another side of the world. Emersing myself in a different culture made me that much more secure in my own feelings and beliefs, but I came to realize that areas of the world have different cultures, but we all kind of shape a little culture of our own from our personal backgrounds, beliefs, and new experiences. These new and varied experiences shape us into the stongest, kindest, best version of us, and that is what I am looking forward to. I know that Germany will be different from my previous study abroad experience, and even though my Christmas and time with my family will be cut short this year, I cannot wait to leave.

I am super excited about the context in which we will be in Germany and Austria. I cannot wait to go to the museums, and hospitals, and such and learn about the countries' histories from that viewpoint. It is always nice to get outside of the textbooks and see what all that stuff in the book is really all about. Another thing that will be nice about this program is that I get to go with Aggies, and I love my fellow Aggies. It will be nice to share similar experiences with a group of people somewhat like me.

Secret Confessions: I hate being cold, and I am a little scared about the whole I don't know German thing. The cold thing, I can deal with. I packed so many layers, I just hope they are enough. Going to Spain was pretty easy because I at least understood 90% of what people were telling me, and after about a week I was able to start conversing pretty easily. German? Not going to be that easy. I am comforted by the fact that most Germans know English, but I am still determined to start picking up as many words and phrases as I can. German has always been a language that interested me so I am going to see just how good my language skills really are.

I'm not quite to the hourly countdown yet, but give me a day or two and I'll be there. See ya'll across the ocean!

No comments: