Sunday, March 06, 2011

There and Back Again

Thinking back to the very beginning and the whole process of signing up to go study abroad in Europe, I realize that I really did something pretty out of the ordinary by my standards. I’m a kind of timid person in a way, but then again I’m not. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m a bit afraid of the unknown, because I’m very bad with directions, and I have this constant fear of getting lost. But by the same token, I always think ahead and say to myself, a well, if I get lost then I’ll just have to find my way back. It’s comforting to me in a way that probably makes no sense. I remember feeling terrified as I saw the email saying I had been approved for the trip, and then I remember another wave of fear when I purchased my plane ticket, and then a while later it all sunk in that I had pretty much hit the point of no return. Now thinking back on all of those feeling that I was experiencing, I feel like I was being overly dramatic because this study abroad experience was well worth it.

This study abroad experience broadened my view of medicine, not just veterinary medicine, but also human medicine. To me now that I’ve had time to look back and process things, I realize that I have had the opportunity to do something pretty darn awesome.

I got to visit historical museums where I got to get closer to all of the things that I have been taught throughout my education. Being able to visit these places and see what they have to offer makes me look at history in a whole new light. And it makes me marvel at how society has advanced so rapidly, and how even now we are advancing. A great example of this is the anesthesiology museum, where I was amused by how primitive early anesthesiology techniques where, but then as we kept walking through the exhibits and the years, my amusement rapidly turned into awe as I no longer understood the techniques being used, for that ,I would need to probably study extensively.

Now a little bit of insight from my point of view on people and how I relate to them. I met and hung out with amazing people. Truly everybody was a blast to be around. I usually never let loose and just have fun with people that I have not know for over a year or so, but being on this trip really helped me open up to strangers, and I found out that it’s ok. European people no longer seem as intimidating in my mind anymore. Well this is based on my experiences with the instructors, tour guides AIB staff, and the random people on the plane and bus rides. Overall, I think I’ve gained a new skill and I will treasure it, because being able to communicate with the world around us is very important. Well this is what I think on the matter.

Overall, this trip for me was a much needed break from the pressures of college life and stress, even though the trip brought with it a different kind of stress, but none the less being abroad was a breath of fresh air. I’m glad I got over the whole fear phase, and went for it because studying abroad was truly an amazing experience. I didn’t really know what to expect but I went with an optimistic view on things, and I came back feeling refreshed and ready to take on the new semester.

No comments: