Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ich Bein Ein Berliner

It’s hard to believe it’s been almost 2 months, since I got back from Germany. The time has gone by so fast as school and other activities have swamped my mind. I wish I could say that I had had a real time to sit down and reflect on all that I learned and saw, but life is too busy. However, without even trying, I’m always thinking about Germany and comparing it to my life here. At times I’m glad that I live in Texas and go to Texas A&M, but other times I wonder how awesome it would be to live in Germany and be a student there. Life here can be so boring sometimes, but in Germany, everything was new and exciting and it seemed like there was always something to do. In some of the cities we were in, like Berlin and Vienna, I felt like I could spend months there and not see everything that there was to see. One of my recent thoughts on Germany was when I was driving and downtown Houston and looking up at the skyscrapers. I wondered if a German would be awed by these tall structures after being around all of the incredible architecture in Germany. How would the Cologne Cathedral stand up to a towering glass skyscraper? In my mind, I realized after seeing the things I saw in Germany I was less impressed by these 20th century buildings. That’s a huge change for someone who would drive by downtown and see the skyline and be amazed at what he saw as progress. After seeing huge structures that made me wonder how people in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries could have possibly constructed them, I don’t appreciate today’s buildings nearly as much. Will people in 200 or 500 or 1000 years care at all about the huge skyscrapers that one can see in any large American city? My guess, probably not. That’s what made Germany so special to me. After being in America for 20 years, a country that people could say sometimes forgets its past when it comes to progress and expansion, I loved seeing Germany, a country that embraces its past and progresses with it and around it. That by far is what I think about most when I remember my trip.

I would be lying if I said the only interesting thing in Germany were the buildings. The history of medicine program put on by Dr. Wasser, Nils, Dr. Rainer, and AIB was superb. It saddens me to think I may never have the opportunity to do some of the things we did on the trip. Seeing heart surgery was an experience that I will never forget. To have the opportunity to see someone’s heart beating inside of them was truly amazing. It helped that the doctors were so friendly and explained what they were doing during the surgery. I would jump on a chance to see heart surgery again. Aside from the surgery, I was very impressed with the hospitals in Germany. They were very clean, very well run, and very advanced. I wouldn’t mind having to spend time in one of them….kidding. The museums we saw were incredible. I could have spent a day in everyone. I was amazed at the extensiveness of the exhibits and the sheer number of specimens and pieces. I’ve been to some great museums in America, but Germany’s museums definitely rivaled anything I had seen up to this point here. The thing that left the most indelible mark on me, though, had to be the concentration camp. It showed how evil people can be and reminded me how we must always be wary of current events that seem wrong but happen because nobody stands up to stop them.

One thing I really miss about Germany is the transportation. It was so simple to jump on a train or subway and get to your destination comfortably and efficiently. It was also a great way to see the countryside and lay of the land. I love driving around in my car, but the mass transit in Germany was definitely a good experience. Another thing I loved was the beer. There is simply no comparison between German beer and American beer. I miss it very much and have tried to find something equivalent here, but with little luck.

Now it wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t talk about the few things that I didn’t like about Germany and Europe in general. First and foremost was the water. I was never able to acquire a taste for the carbonated water and really missed normal water fountains. I also missed being able to get free water at restaurants. I guess German water is worth more than America water. The only other thing that I didn’t like was the prices. I definitely spent more money on food there than I ever would here. However, the cost of the experience was definitely worth it as the food was great there and I miss kebaps very much.

All in all, I can honestly look back and say that the trip to Germany and the other countries I went to was a life changing experience. I truly gained a new perspective on the world and enjoyed the chance to see other cultures in action. I have to thank Dr. Wasser, Nils, Dr. Rainer and all the rest of AIB for making the trip possible and providing guidance and information that not even the best tour guide could have given. I only hope that I will enjoy myself as much as I did the next time I go to Europe. The one thing I can promise is that I’ll be back.

No comments: