Tuesday, March 08, 2011

El Fin

Since coming back to the U.S., I have thought about Germany several times. It occurred a lot more in the first few weeks back. This was probably because classes had just started again, and were (and still are) a lot less fun then what we did in Germany. It took me almost a week to get my sleep cycle back on track. I feel asleep at 9:30 PM a couple nights and woke up at 6 AM without an alarm. I have since gotten back on track.

The main thing that I want to talk about in my final post is the differences between the U.S. and Europe, and what I like about each side of the ball. First and foremost is my final opinion on the contrasting healthcare systems. I do not feel that either system is the “right” system. My belief is that both systems work in their respective countries, and therefore each country should follow the old addage, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Changing either system would cause confusion and anger amongst almost half of the nation, so staying with the status quo is the best thing to do.

Moving on from the topic of the class to the culture of each area. I love the Euro and the way prices are listed for everything, everywhere in Europe. The tax is included and the numbers are mostly round (ie end in a 0 or a 5). I don’t like pennies and Europe has mostly done away with one cent increments, at least form what I experienced. Now to what people wear, although this will be partially biased since I was only able to see the summer fashion. I saw a man wearing white Uggs in Prague. I really, really, really hope that this does not become the norm here.

I really miss the food. I have gone back into my college cycle of me cooking plus campus and fast food, and obviously these are no comparison to big time restaurants. I really liked the little sandwhich and pizza shacks that were in most of the train stations in Europe. Also the kabobs in Berlin were amazing. I feel that a shop like Ali Baba’s could make a killing on northgate at 2 AM.

I really enjoyed my time in Germany and Europe and I would love to go back ASAP. I would like to do a couple different things on my return trip. First I would like to go in the summer. I know many people complained about Copenhagen, but I liked it on the trip and think I would love it in the summertime. Second, I want to go to Bavaria. I would really like to go to Munich. Third, I have now put Octoberfest on my bucket list, but hopefully I will have more than just one opportunity to experience this for the first time, and the rest of Europe again.

No comments: